Friday 11 October 2013

Don't cry...



Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
-Dr Seuss

I have been rather quiet on the blog front lately.  Not for lack of excitement in my little life but quiet the opposite in fact.  About a month ago I suddenly entered what I’m sure must be the beginnings a mid-life crisis (which sadly lowers my life-expectancy to a rather premature 60).  I woke up one fateful morning with the stark realization that my life could not continue in its present form, as I was, despite all appearances to the contrary, quite bloody unhappy.  And so in one fell swoop I turned my entire life upside down, I shook out my pockets and took a good, hard look at me, me, me.  This narcissistic navel-gazing has caused some dramatic results. 

In the past month I’ve had two mini-holidays: one lone venture to Cape Town - a city that rocked my little world with its hipster charms and incredible views.


And another girls road trip to Zululand – a region which rocked my little world with its wildlife and kayaking adventures. 

 In this month of melt down I have:
  1. Begun the painful task of dismantling my marriage.
  2. Imbibed craft beers with one of my oldest, dearest friends in the Mother City.
  3. Learnt some awful and useful truths about myself.
  4. Had a conversation with my literary hero, Lauren Beukes of the Shining Girls/Zoo City Fame (To be fair conversation is a bit of a stretch, “Hello, please could I have your autograph. I love you”)
  5. Been reminded of just how amazing my friends are.
  6. Whipped out the ‘Stripper Hair Flick’ while dressed as Wonder Woman alongside a bride-to-be dressed in a Sumo-wrestler fat suit and a bevvy of other superheroes.
  7. Pap-snapped no fewer than 15 Rhino, in the knobbly flesh, a few metres away, on World Rhino Day.
  8. Lost my shorts in an unfortunate Kayak incident down the Lower-Pongola River. (And nearly lost the dear Bowlzie in the same incident, the kayak bears claw marks from her frantic search for the surface)
  9. Watched Amazulu soccer club win at the Moses Mabiha stadium with Klong and then laughed hysterically at a joke about ‘poke-her-Hontas’.
  10. Moshed to Afrikaaner Rock while being eyed up by a squinty lesbian.
  11. Witnessed some top-notch power sliding, by the ‘mild-mannered’ Brother of Simon the Farmer.
  12. Handed over my chairmanship of the Pot Club (aka the Pot & Barrel appreciation club) to a more deserving chairman, Simon the Farmer.
  13. Babysat the funniest 3-year old in the world.
  14. Been saved from melting in my own tears by my amazing sister, who suggested I move from room to room for a change of scenery mid-driz fest, or alternatively stop and go and eat sushi with her.
  15. Danced.
  16. Laughed.
  17. Had numerous heart-to-hearts with the fabulous women in my life.
  18. Exploded my heart.
  19. Cried in the bathtub.
  20. Smiled all day after hearing that Bowlzie was engaged. (As a closet romantic I love a happy new beginning).
  21. Applied to study at a top advertising school next year. (Where, the lecturer took great pains to remind me, my classmates will be 10 years my junior.)

 And finally embarked on a 3 month care stint with the darling Myvanwy starting now…

No comments:

Post a Comment